Wednesday 4 May 2011

Evaluation 1 - In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?




These images are examples of contents pages, the one nearer the top of the page is my contents page and the one below it is an example of a Q magazine contents page. From a quick glance at these magazines contents pages you can see that they follow a fairly similar template, with the contents list being clearly structured and easy to read.
On the other hand at a closer look it is easily noteable that they hold very different structure and style. The contents page that was created by myself is split almost into three columns, one being images, one being the contents list and one being the "editors note". This challenges the meme of a Q magazine contents which, although split into three columns also, focuses on placeing the contents list around the main images, these images are placed in the middle column, which is ultimately larger, and are used as a focus for the audiences attention to be captured. This is effective as these images can highlight articles of interest or high profile articles, however it can draw the attention away from the contents list, thus losing attention from other articles. With this in mind, I created a contents list which was placed centrally so as to attract the audiences attention to the whole contents and not just the main articles. This is challenging the conventions of most contents pages, as many use a lot of images fro the main articles so these have a wider reader base, however I feel by placing the contents list in the centre of the page it may attract a larger readership.
Q magazine also have their logo on their contents page, this advertises the magazine further. However I didn't feel this was necessary as the magzine I created would be unique in being for a female audience, and as the contents page is so near to the cover I did not feel it was necessary to broadcast the magazine name or logo continuously throughout.
The images used, as previously noted, are more centralised, but are also layered in a scrapbook style. I placed my images in a storyboard style, although now looking more closely at other contents pages I would agree that a scrapbook, layered style seems to be more effective.
I also did not include an issue number or date, on looking at my contents page again I feel this also would have been a good convention to follow, along with the headings and subheadings that are also used in Q magazine.






The front cover of a magazine it vital: it attracts readers, builds a reputation and is easily recognisable for it's current audience. Q magazine is easily recogniseable for having the large red Q as it's logo, always placed in the same top left hand position.
My front cover followed the convention of Q magazine by including one large image on the page. I followed each convention of Q magazine but changed each slightly to suit my magazine better. The taglines is a prime example of this: I ensured I included taglines on my front cover but due to space on the page because of the size of the image and that I did not want to disturb the image with irrelevant text (text that is not part of the picture or the article the picture belongs to). This is how I changed the convention of taglines to suit my peice better, Q magazine covers a lot of the image with taglines but this seems to work well. I also included a few smaller images on the right hand side of the page, this I thought was a good idea as it may attract a wider audience as it depicts further what the magazine will contain. This however breaks away from the convention of not including smaller images and just tag lines. However I think that my idea would also be successful.




My interview was structured conventionally inline with many music magazine interviews, however how I placed the images and text could be somewhat against the conventions of music magazines such as Q as these often place images from the article around the two pages. I, however, decided to, again, put the images in a storyboard style. I feel this style is effective because the images are together and are easier to look at and attract the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment