Thursday 5 May 2011

Evaluation 4 - How does your media product represent particular social groups?

My social group that I aim to attract is a more indie or alternative group, they would listen to a lot of the music associated with this and therefore would enjoy reading about up and coming bands and artists along with already famous and good artists and bands.

The male figure I represent in the interview and front cover of my magazine represents the social group that can be associated with indie or alternative music. This figure could also be interpreted by the female target audience as someone to aspire to be with, a role model of sorts. however to an unintentional male audience the interview may come across to be fairly arrogant and someone that the audience could either dislike or not look up to. I hoped to represent the images in my magazine positively to my target audience and feel that using the images I did throughout my magazine I managed to create tis positive image, making my magazine more sellable and ideal for the audience I aim to sell my magazine to.


Although my magazine is aimed at an older audience I do feel personally that magazines aimed at teenagers, especially younger teens, have a responsibility to represent the right type of person as the audiences of magazines such as Top of the Pops are very influential. The teenagers that read Top of the Pops may be young enough to see a badly portrayed image as one to follow and look up to. Presenting celebritites as incredibly underweight, heavily under the influence of alcohol or drugs or publicising distateful music, such as Rhianna at present.

No comments:

Post a Comment